About Dive Zone Whitianga
Darrell Bird came over the Coromandel Range back in 2004 and discovered this stunning coastal town with its outstanding dive sites - and no specialist dive store. And so it began. Darrell opened his store in October of that year. Darrell's vision and constant drive is always ensuring that he provides quality brands of equipment and operates a safe and fun based adventure tourism and education business.
We are fortunate to have passionate crew of Dive Instructors at Dive Zone Whitianga - all of which have been through our own training programmes and have continued to update and further their training and skills. Scroll down and meet the Dive Zone Whitianga Crew! Continue down to see our fav pics of our area.
We love to play our part in our community and our environment.....
- With the many opportunities that we have in working with students ranging from school age through to young adults, we take pleasure in encouraging them in their dive training to not just be takers but to be Ambassadors for the ocean – respecting the marine environment, its fish and mammal life.
- We undertake regular sea floor and road-side clean ups.
- The Whitianga Wharf is always a great source of gathered rubbish needing removal from the marine environment.
Dive Zone Whitianga are sponsors of many activities and groups within our community:
- Whitianga Scallop Festival Inc – both Linda and Darrell have been long standing committee members of this major fundraising event for Whitianga.
- Corporate sponsor of the Auckland Rescue Helicopter Trust
- Annual Sponsor of the Mercury Bay MX Club
- Main prize sponsor for our local area school’s annual raffle every year.
- Annual sponsorship for the Whitianga Bike Park
- Darrell is a local Scout Leader and loves the opportunities to get our local Scouts into the pool for scuba experiences or taking groups out for snorkelling in the Te Whanganui A Hei Marine Reserve.
- We love taking our local schools learning support kids out for their annual end of year sea experience.
- Donation of our time, divers and vessels to undertake the needed scallop survey work to help Ngati Hei, the Opito Bay Ratepayers and Legasea gather the information needed to apply for the Rahui over the eastern Coromandel scallop beds.
This year we have also donated prizes to:
- Mercury Bay Rugby
- Matarangi Fire Force
- Mercury Bay Trailer Boat Fishing Comp
- Mercury Bay Ladies Fishing Tournament
- Bayleys Whitianga Pink Ribbon Evening
- Mercury Bay Area School end of year Prize Giving
Send Us A Message!
Got a question? Want to find out how to book a trip? Need some dive advice? Send us a message below and we will get right back to you.